Sunday, June 30, 2013

Pop Beads

Sharing this story from Summit Church blog:
This illustration is truly fitting to my life right now and how I need to trust God even though I cannot see the big picture!
A little girl wanted some pop beads. All of her friends had necklaces made of pop beads, and she longed to wear a pop bead necklace too. She begged her parents for some. They told her that she would need to earn the money to buy them and gave her some chores to do around the house. Within a few weeks, she was able to buy the pop beads.




The day that she got them, she was ecstatic. That night after dinner, she sat on her father’s lap and couldn’t stop staring at the pop bead necklace around her neck. Gently, her father asked, “Do you love me?”



“Of course I do!” she replied.



“Give me your pop beads,” he said.

The little girl laughed and said, “Daddy, you’re silly!” and ran off to bed.



The next night, the little girl sat on her father’s lap. Again, the question came. “Do you love me?”



“Yes,” she answered.



“Give me your pop beads.”



The little girl was very confused by this, and went off to bed with the pop beads still around her neck.



This went on for several nights. Soon, the girl began avoiding her father. She did not want to face him because he kept asking for her most prized possession. Finally, one night her father called her over and sat her on his lap. “Do you love me?” he asked.



The little girl broke down into tears. “Yes, I love you Daddy, and I know you want my pop beads. I don’t understand why you want them but here…take them.”



The father took them and immediately threw them into the fire that was crackling in the fireplace. The little girl was mortified.



But then the father took out a beautiful pearl necklace and handed it to his daughter. “A real princess deserves real pearls,” he said.



Sometimes we need to give up smaller dreams to pursue God’s bigger vision. The little girl clung to her pop beads because she didn’t think there could be anything better for her, but there was.



I’ve been challenged this week to think about what “pop beads” I’ve been holding on to, and I can think of a few… Do you have any? It’s my prayer this week that we all trade in our pop beads for pearl necklaces

No comments:

Post a Comment