Friday, June 14, 2013

Breaking Point

I reached my absolute breaking point in the summer of 2008...my doctor called it  "situational anxiety". I called it absolute breakdown of the mind and soul. The previous six months had been a time of GREAT change.
 I had gotten engaged to my boyfriend of 6 years a year earlier, after Gods intervention was hired at my first teaching job in Arizona (I lived in Ohio, where all my family is located), decided to move a wedding from the year 2009 to 2008 which allowed us 6 months to plan all while orchestrating a cross country move. My husband and I were happily married on July 11 2008 and the very next day while returning a wedding gift were in a horrible 9 car accident where with Gods protection we lost a car but survived unscathed. We then proceed to drive/move across country which would also serve as our honeymoon to the sunny land of Arizona.
It took me about 3 weeks before it hit me...the wedding, the move, the new life away from family, brand new job. I couldn't do it...I knew nothing of being a wife, teacher, renter, and on and on. The anxiety started, then the uncontrollable crying...what was missing in the midst of all this despair was God.
One day my husband came home with flowers and a inspirational card to try and lift my spirits, when I opened the card it sang "I will Praise you in this Storm" by Casting Crowns. At that moment it reminded me that hey I am not alone in this, God is with me. I wish I could say all my troubles were wiped away and everything was better from that moment on..alas it was not.
It took months, years of God reminding me again and again that he is there for me, that I need not worry...

"Therefore I say to you, Take no thought for your life, what you shall eat, or what you shall drink; nor yet for your body, what you shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? 26Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much better than they? 27Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit to his stature? …" Matthew 6:25-27

Needless to say God has brought me healing. Although I still deal with bouts of anxiety I know where to go when I am feeling stressed, overwhelmed, etc. I turn to God and his word. They are the most powerful tools I know to fight off what is ailing me. God always has the answer, I might not discover right away, but if I reflect on the past 5 years God has always delivered.

Below is a picture of Gods greatest blessing to my life...they came after what I consider my breaking point...they were so worth it!

4 comments:

  1. Awwww... I am soo touched by your husband's display of love in encouraging you to look to God. What a powerful testimony for both of you! Glad God is continuing to do awesome things!! =) Have an awesome Father's Day weekend! ~Steph (OBS Leader)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thought you might enjoy. Matthew 6:31-34, set to music from Seeds Family Worship. Enjoy!! =)
    http://seedsfamilyworship.bandcamp.com/track/seek-first-matthew-6-31-34

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful blessings God entrusted to us. :) It continually amazes me how only God can pull us out of the pit of despair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your breaking point and how your husband reminded you with flowers and an inspirational card that God was with you and protects you. Beautiful little girls, they sure are a blessing. Our God is amazing.

    ReplyDelete