Thursday, November 14, 2013

A Place of Surrender



Throughout my adult life I have struggled with feelings of failure and defeat. I always look ahead at life.."when I get married...", "when I live on my own...", "when we have more money...", "when we have a house...". Over time I have accomplished many of these goals but never find myself satisfied. I turn to God and ask "Why am I such a failure?" "Why can't I just be happy?". Then I would turn to guilt over these feelings, "I know I am blessed...". This study has helped me to realize I am not alone, nor am I a failure!
When doubt and fear starts to creep in I think about my "I can/am" statements...
1. I am a good mother
2. I am a good wife
3. I do a good job at my career.
I have also started backing these statements up with Gods promises.

"For I know the plans I have for you..."

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well."

"For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

"For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he[a] predestined us for adoption to sonship[b] through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—"

I also look at my past to see how God has fulfilled the plan he had for my life. I have gone places and experienced things I never could have dreamed of.

I became and wife to a wonderful man...
I became a mother to two beautiful girls...
I have my dream job of teaching...
I lived in Arizona establishing myself as an adult and realizing how valuable and important family is...
God blessed me with a move back close to family....

Lord,
 I surrender my fears, anxiety and worry to you. I know you want what's best for me and although I am not in control you are. Thank you for all the blessings you have bestowed upon me.
Amen.


2 comments:

  1. Great blog...very uplifting and insightful. I so relate to all our words and great affirmations. I have been encouraged and thank you for sharing. God bless,
    Malisa in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to your words here - always looking for the next big thing, getting it and then not being satisfied. Thank you for sharing that struggle and offering God's word as the solution. I love the picture you used in your blog too! "Surrender is the intersection between acceptance and change." Stephanie Solberg OBS Small Group Leader

    ReplyDelete